Pages

Thursday 19 August 2010

Biggus stickus (say it quickly and don’t tell the children why you are laughing)

I went to York on Saturday as my lovely son had decided that his long hair needed cutting. “No no “ I said “Long hair is cool” Do you see the crazy parent logic working there? Reverse psychology or some such. Anyway there we were in York, we go often as its not far and we know it well as we lived there for 6 years when we were first married . I went to see the newly reopened wool shop on the shambles, its well worth a visit and you can combine an educational, historical visit with a “hey waddaya know there's a wool shop”  I bought this……………….
IMG_0006
OMG as the kids say!!! I told the woman in the shop that I didn’t have a clue what to do with it but I JUST HAD TO HAVE IT . Its a beast!!!!
IMG_0008
As you can see I tried with it. I think I made a fishing net.
IMG_1789
While there the lady in the shop was explaining that she was involved in a fundraising activity for cancer research uk. A group of gals were trying to get people to knit 2832 scarves, enough to go around the city walls of York, these will then be auctioned or sold in the wool shop. I went and met the ladies doing just that and what a lovely bunch. Needless to say I have started a scarf and if any of you feel that its something you could squeeze into your day then I’d love it if we could do this together. Here is the blurb…IMG_0003
Hi Knit a scarf and "Join in the fight for women's survival" We need 2832 scarves ready to wrap around the 2.5miles of the York wall by Sunday 21st November 2010. Help by knitting a scarf (15cm by 150cm long) in any shade of pink or colour or design. The scarves will then be sold to raise money for Cancer research UK's research into breast cancer. Or you can donate money on this page to help the RAW Team to achieve their target We will be taking our knitting around the world with us including Mount Snowdon, India and around the world so come on can you help me! Yes you can! Thank you so much Love and hugs Rachel Speight RAW Team xxxxxx
They do need to be dropped off at The wool shop Ramshambles and I can see that being a logistical prob. Let me know if you want to and I will work something out. It would be an excellent task for a bored child during the hols…. just a thought….

6 comments:

  1. what a lovely charity you're supporting Louise! The scarf you are making looks so lovely and soft and feminine! And that hook is huge! I have a 19mm one, how big is yours? I have no idea what I'm going to make with mine, maybe a rug?
    Have a lovlely weekend XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so I was seriously laughing so hard at your post title!!! Life of Brian was a big favorite with my Dad (whose name is Brian!!!!). What the heck are you going to make with that humongous hook??? I was just looking at them in the store the other day and wondering what on earth people make with them.
    How cool you get to create for such a wonderful charity! Do you think if I made a scarf and posted it to you, you could drop it off? I just bought all that lovely purply yarn the other day and would like to put it to good use. Have a fab weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Louise,
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments!
    That sounds a really good idea.
    I love that big hook of yours.
    Have you ever crocheted with strips of material?
    I think you use a large one for those.

    Holidays will soon be over. Weather back to normal, proper Autumny outside.

    Nice to chat,
    Love suex

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your big hook!! The scarf fund raising sounds such a good idea and your scarf colours are so lovely and soft and feminine. Thank you for your email on the chilli plants - I am sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your email - my brother is visiting us and we have all been catching up with news!
    Lucy xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a similar sized hook, too! You can see what I made with it later this week on www.merrymakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails